Business Development Manager-Tanzania
Uncover hidden opportunities to make a global impact. Off Grid Electric, through its consumer brand Zola, is a growth-stage startup that’s on track to light a million homes in Africa over the next couple of years with clean, affordable solar energy. At the heart of our business is innovative solutions that delight our customers. We are looking for a Managing Director- East Africa to join our team in Arusha, Tanzania, and support our growth strategy in Africa, changing the lives of millions with our innovative products.
This may be your dream job if you’re someone who dreams of combining your knowledge and skills enabling Off Grid Electric to change the renewable energy landscape. You’ll also need to be passionate about bringing solar energy to off-grid and other underserved markets(billions of people around the world)with the unique social, technical, and business challenges that come along with it. You are inspired by the opportunity to unleash whole continents of human potential, and motivated to help build a truly epic business.
OffGrid Electric combines Silicon Valley technology with local expertise to offer African homes and businesses a long-term solar solution to an unreliable grid. Adaptable to both energy needs and income, Zola Electric’s solution can be bought over time through a leasing structure. The first few watts starts a chain reaction that enables people to achieve commonly held aspirations: security, education, access to information, and a longer and more efficient day.
Today, OffGrid Electric powers more than 100,000 homes and businesses across Tanzania, Rwanda, Ghana, Nigeria and Cote d’Ivoire. Zola Electric’s investors include: SolarCity, Vulcan Capital, DBL Partners, The Packard Foundation, Helios Investment Partners, and responsibility. Zola Electric is the recipient of the 2016 UN Momentum for Change Award, Zayed Future Energy Prize, and the 2015 Global Cleantech 100. For more information, visit www.zolaelectric.com.
The Business Development Manager- Working with the Managing Director TZ and Chief Commercial Officer, is responsible for the management and execution of the Business Development activities in Tanzania. The role is based in Tanzania with regular travel. The role requires the candidate to think long term and endurance to work on a project for an extended period of time
The other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Local Business Development Lead
- Lead local business development deal process including implementing commercial frameworks, structuring deals and negotiating definitive documentation for commercial partnerships with guidance from Group Commercial
- Manage cross-functional coordination of internal and external workstreams needed to successfully execute 3rd party partnerships
- External responsibilities include customer relationship management, configuring solutions for customer power needs and economics
- Develop materials to use in customer meetings
- Work with Group Commercial function to implement partnership deals locally
- Prioritization and coordination of local business development pipeline including fielding inbound requests and prioritizing deals based on strategic importance
- Lead weekly calls with Group Commercial to determine status, risk and opportunities
- Track and drive deal status. Escalate risks in deals to Senior Management and Group Commercial.
Business Development KPI reporting
- Report on the status of deals, expected timing, and risk escalation
- Management and Board reporting presentation support
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitatively rigorous discipline and with a record of strong academic performance
- 6+ years’ experience in commercial / business development, of which 2 years is at a management level
- General management experience, expertise in sales and marketing
- Deep understanding of commercial strategies & development
- Creative and proven ability to work cross-functionally
- Flexible, assertive, client-oriented and result-focused
- Proper mastery of computer systems and tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Google Sheets, Slides & Docs)
- Good communicator with a relational ease
- Excellent communications skills, and fluent in English
- Analytical and planning & organizing skills
- Detail-oriented and deadline driven
- Ethical team player who can work under pressure
- Ambition to grow professionally and contribute to the development of the company
- Ability to think long-term
This role is based in our Arusha Head office in Tanzania. Travel may be required on a regular basis.
Are you interested?
Please send your applications through E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position you are applying for on the subject line.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
OffGrid Electric Is an Equal Opportunity Employer.