Head of Property at Standard Chartered January, 2020
. . BOFYA HAPA KUJIUNGA NA GROUP LA WHATSAPP
Job Title: : Property / Corporate Real Estate
Primary Location: Africa & Middle East-Tanzania-Dar es Salaam
Employee Status: Permanent
Posting Date: 17/Jan/2020
Unposting Date: 01/Feb/2020
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It’s about showing how you embody our valued behaviours – do the right thing, better together and never settle – as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
• The role is accountable through regional and country Property teams to ensure all aspects of the Property function are well managed, well operated and provide safe and productive work environment for the group’s staff and customers.
• Accountable for managing the portfolio across Uganda.
• Managing a cluster operating budget through geographic teams in the most effective and efficient manner in support of and aligned with the business strategy, through continually improving operating metrics relating to space use, costs and employee experience.
• Develop, implement and deliver cluster/country property strategies, influencing key geographic and business stakeholders to ensure optimal solutions are implemented.
• Ensure supply partners, including NEWs, are effectively managed and continue to deliver service excellence and good value to the bank through an optimised operating and delivery model.
• Accountable for Property engagement model with cluster/country CEO’s and business leaders, to ensure the function has a deep understanding of strategic business needs and influence business outcomes beyond express needs.
• Direct engagement with cluster/country CEO’s and other key stakeholders on strategic property management themes, influencing outcomes in the bank’s interests.
• Accountable for the Property geographic operating model and resourcing/budget decisions in Uganda. Lead the specific cluster and optimisation of country resources and specialisms (AM, Workplace and others) applicable to the specific markets, working closely with Property subject matter expert centres of excellence.
• Risk control owner for all Property related risks, including Health and Safety, Security and Business Continuity Management in Uganda.
• Responsible for ensuring that the residual risks within the scope of responsibilities for managing the risk control areas of Property remain within appetite at Hub level.
• Develop, implement and deliver country property strategies and strategic initiatives
• Proactive engagements with business stakeholders and supply partners – deepen partnerships, influence with future focused, affordable and robust solutions
• Lead the strategy to provide country business heads optimal property and Property related (H&S, Security and etc.) solutions
• Manage annual country Property budgets including capital projects budgets. Agree Country budgets with key stakeholders
• Act as second line of assurance underpinning RCO’s responsibilities
• Represent Property in risk committees – FORTM, CORC. etc
• Chair monthly FORTM meetings
• Alignment with Group functional and specialist leads
• Lead change management for transformation activities and hub innovation
• Lead development of process, innovation, change
• Leads definition and implementation of regional training/development needs
• Leads and guides retained management organisation (includes Supplier Managers, Contract Managers and Operational Risk Managers) to ensure service provider is delivering to the agreed service level agreements and performance standards
• Leads in country strategic management and decision-making on property related matters
• In HUB country lead the specific region and optimisation of regional and country specialisms (AM, PM, FM and others) applicable to the specific markets
• Lead assurance testing on the retained teams both in the hub as well as the countries to provide evidence of compliance with the relevant group policies, procedures and standards
• Lead and empower teams to ensure the Region meets its respective agreed environmental targets
Responsibilities as a Property Risk Control Owner:
As Risk Control Owner for Property Management and Security Management (including H&S regulations) in cluster, responsible under the Group Operational Risk Framework (ORF) for ensuring that the residual risks within the scope of Property responsibilities remain within appetite. In discharging this responsibility, the Country Head must:
• Challenge and verify First Line risk identification and assessments, in line with changes in the internal and external environment
• Identify and report key risks and ensure where outside of the risk appetite they are escalated to the appropriate body for risk acceptance
• Maintain a good understanding of applicable laws and regulations pertaining to Property Risk control areas
• Design, implement and maintain controls and mitigates
• Ensure effective communication of policies and other control requirements
• Define key control indicators and control sample testing requirements as appropriate for managing risk
• Monitor compliance with and effectiveness of the risk control environment
• Monitor ‘live’ risk issues and events material to the Bank and verify whether appropriate management action is being taken to mitigate their impact
• Advise governance bodies on key risks, the effectiveness of mitigates and controls, and alignment of residual risks with appetite
• Ensure at all times operations in region / country are audit ready
Note: the above mentioned second Line responsibilities are in addition to any First Line responsibilities that the Risk Control Owner may have as a line manager.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Influence the team, supply partners, relationship owners and other stakeholders to delivery future focused solutions aligned to the needs of the Bank.
Influencing Right Outcomes:
Ability to influence wide range of country and regional stakeholders across businesses, functions, geographies and within Group Property
Provide leadership and guidance to all teams ensure a robust talent pipeline build appropriate capability and capacity models across all markets, leveraging the supply partners.
Managing Change :
Ensure the teams are fit and flexible, respond to dynamic business / economic environment.
Lead by example, be courageous and drive the agenda. Take ownership.
Making it Happen:
Ensure on ground effectiveness through robust supply partner management.
Ability to speak the language of the business and understand the business requirements.
Deep understanding of business operations and related requirements, ability to speak the language of business and develop effective, efficient and win win solutions.
Understanding the financial and commercial risks and opportunities relation to property.
Detailed knowledge of operational and financial risks and related policies.
Strategic planning :
Comprehensive understanding of group’s real-estate strategy and ability to translate into operational execution plans and deliver.
Expert in subject matter:
Need to understand the efficacy of solutions, provide effective guidance on all aspects of Property.
Strategic Supply Partner Management :
Ability to move from managing activity to managing a fully outsourced offering, letting go of tactical management activity.
Property System & Ops:
Good understanding of Property tools and ability to leverage them for the benefit of the Bank.
Experience – Real Estate Senior position 12+ years
Preferred Qualifications (experience more important than qualifications):
• MBA or similar.
• Preferably a bachelor’s degree in Real Estate, Facilities Management, engineering or other business related discipline preferred
• Knowledge of the facilities/real estate market as well as a keen understanding of customer service principles
• Demonstrated resourcefulness in seeking out market opportunities and leveraging supplier base to maximum advantage
• Exceptional leadership capabilities and experience managing large multi-disciplinary teams
• Strong Communication and Negotiation skills
Provide leadership in cluster region to comply with the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and practices as defined by internal and external requirements. Understand and ensure compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations and guidelines including those governing securities activities, company law, anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the Group’s policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct. Take personal responsibility for understanding the risk and compliance requirements of the role. Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters.
Embed the Group’s Values and Group Code of Conduct to ensure adherence with the highest standards of ethics. Comply with relevant policies, processes and regulations, as part of the culture. Lead by example by displaying exemplary conduct behaviours and take personal responsibility for: the conduct of individuals in cluster ensuring behaviours set out in the Group Code of Conduct are followed. [business/country/function] achieving the outcomes set out in the Conduct Principal and Pillars. Both direct and indirect/dotted line managers are individually accountable to proactively communicate, collaborate and agree on the conduct ratings of employees.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.