Job Title: Head of Finance – EAST AFRICA
Company DescriptionUncover hidden opportunities to make a global impact. Off Grid Electric, through its consumer brand Zola, is a growth-stage startup that’s on track to light a million homes in Africa over the next couple of years with clean, affordable solar energy. At the heart of our business is innovative solutions that delight our customers. We are looking for a Head of Finance to join our team in Arusha, Tanzania, to support our growth strategy in Africa, changing the lives of millions with our innovative products.
This may be your dream job if you’re someone who dreams of combining your knowledge and skills enabling Off Grid Electric to change the renewable energy landscape. You’ll also need to be passionate about bringing solar energy to off-grid and other underserved markets (billions of people around the world) with the unique social, technical, and business challenges that come along with it. You are inspired by the opportunity to unleash whole continents of human potential, and motivated to help build a truly epic business.
OffGrid Electric combines Silicon Valley technology with local expertise to offer African homes and businesses a long-term solar solution to an unreliable grid. Adaptable to both energy needs and income, Zola Electric’s solution can be bought over time through a leasing structure. The first few watts starts a chain reaction that enables people to achieve commonly held aspirations: security, education, access to information, and a longer and more efficient day.
Today, OffGrid Electric powers more than 100,000 homes and businesses across Tanzania, Rwanda, Ghana, Nigeria and Côte d’Ivoire. Zola Electric’s investors include: SolarCity, Vulcan Capital, DBL Partners, The Packard Foundation, Helios Investment Partners, and responsibility. Zola Electric is the recipient of the 2016 UN Momentum for Change Award, Zayed Future Energy Prize, and the 2015 Global Cleantech 100. For more information, visit www.zolaelectric.com.
Position :The Head of Finance is responsible for all financial activities in country and for ensuring financial targets of the company are met. The main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Participate in strategic meetings to contribute to the development of the annual Financial Strategy and Business Plan in collaboration with Group Finance based in Amsterdam.
Source and generate new ideas to input into the Strategy and provide for strategic adjustments
Develop implementation plan of Financial Strategy in collaboration with the team and monitor implementation therein
Provide the Managing Director and operating management with timely and accurate information with which to jointly determine strategy and proactively identify issues.
Budget Management and Cash Flow Management
Manage proper budget control and compliance by the business as per the approved budget
Monitor country expenditure and review monthly, providing actionable improvement plans for country business units
Provide guidance to management to reduce expenditure
Implement and oversee financial remedial plans and measures as required
Monitor the execution of proper reporting on budget and cash flow matters
Ownership of Country Financial statement
- Accountable for all postings to the country financial ledgers
- Collaborate with accounting and reporting team, review and approve entries
- Monitor the timeous payment of creditors and attend to those outstanding payments that have been escalated
- Sign-off on monthly reconciliations
- Periodically review and approve expenditure reports
- Review and approve the annual financial statements
Inventory and Fixed Asset Management
- Align and work together with the ZOLA Electric Supply Chain team to ensure
- physical stock counts are properly carried out
- that any stock losses are promptly written off
- Monitor the maintenance of the asset register
- Review asset register to check depreciation calculated and validate additions against support documentation
- Review the insurance policy to ensure it is up to date and that assets are appropriately secured
Risk Assessment and Credit
- Devise and implement periodic financial and operational risk assessments in collaboration with the MD and Heads of Departments and the local Head of Credit
- Carry out internal audits as necessary to assure MD and OGE Executive / Board that financial risks are properly managed
- In cooperation with the Group Director of Credit, ensure that the customer-facing credit strategy that addresses both upfront, point-of-sale credit operations as well as after-sales education and payment follow-up is implemented and appropriately followed up
- Participate in weekly Core Team Meetings and monthly Performance Review Meetings
- Communicate regularly with the Country MD to provide the necessary updates on departmental operations
- Liaise with the central accounting team on accounting and financial reporting matters
- Provide financial advice and counsel to the Country MD and Heads of Departments
- Maintain sound working relationships with financial institutions and relevant authorities
- Support the collaboration across functions to understand and resolve problems on the ground
Ensure that an effective document management system is in place for country operations (in collaboration with Legal Counsel)
Ensure that a system exists to ensure that all business operating permits are in place
- Post-graduate qualification in financial management, management control, accounting, finance or in an equivalent experience
- Minimum 10 years financial management experience.
- Experience in Banking and in the financial department of a subsidiary of a multinational group are considered advantages
- Expertise in accounting and in financial analysis/reporting
- Leadership experience
- Experience with living and working in Africa is an advantage
- Flexible, assertive, client-oriented and result-focused
- Proper mastery of computer systems and tools (ERP software, Excel)
- Good communicator with a relational ease
- excellent communications skills, and fluent in English
- Knowledge of the relevant financial legislation pertaining to the country
- Analytical and planning & organizing skills
- Detail-oriented and deadline driven
- Ethical team player who can work under pressure
- Understanding of the local business environment
- OtherThis role is based in the ZOLA Electric Arusha office in Tanzania. As this role is also overseeing operations in Rwanda, travel between Arusha and Kigal will be required on a regular basis.
Are you interested?
Please send your updated resume to:
Director Financial Planning & Analysis
Phone: +31 6 2260 1867